[cffi-devel] uffi.asd vs uffi-compat.asd

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 00:32:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Cunningham, Jeffrey
K.<JEFFREY.K.CUNNINGHAM at saic.com> wrote:
> You are right - it would solve the problem. But it leaves
> library compatibility in that awful state that requires too
> much arcane information to be known to write decent
> auto-setup tools. But don't you think that in the long run
> Lisp libraries ought to work together without all kinds of
> special exceptions? Its one of the things people always
> complain about with Lisp. Just my two cents.

If you are interested in the improving the Lisp ecosystem in general,
then you should understand why I'm worried about the potential
drawbacks of renaming uffi.asd in the context of clbuild.

The most obvious one that UFFI is not part of clbuild's projects.
Secondly, libraries such as CLSQL achieve significantly better
performance on SBCL using CFFI-UFFI-COMPAT rather than UFFI. Thirdly,
CFFI (and therefore CFFI-UFFI-COMPAT) supports more Lisps than UFFI;
so if we disable CFFI-UFFI-COMPAT in clbuild, a couple of libraries
will stop working on CLISP and others. There might be further
drawbacks.

I hope that makes the issue clearer.

--
Luís Oliveira