[cffi-devel] Support for long-longs on Allegro 64-bit

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Aug 21 21:43:19 UTC 2009

Luís Oliveira wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:34 AM, John Fremlin<jf at msi.co.jp> wrote:
>> The no-long-long feature is incredibly broken on 64-bit Linux, as it
>> assumes that a long is 32-bits when it is actually 64-bits. This causes
>> very hard crashes (Allegro's strange SIGEMT).
>
> Yeah, the problem of course is that there is no free 64-bit version of
> Allegro so we can't support as well as we'd like. You should complain
> to them. :-)

I would second that.  They seem to have decided on their pricing policy
in the old days when a 64-bit chip was a really big deal, and basically
only used for very high-end workstations or for servers.

Now, on the other hand, you'd actually have to go out of your way to
find a 32-bit machine to buy.

I think if we chip away at them they will eventually give up on their
model of 64-bit as being worthy of a cost premium, and start to ship a
Professional (and presumably a trial) that's 64-bit.  But it will
probably take a number of people complaining.

I know I made Duane Rettig wince when I said at ILC that we'd ported our
system to SBCL to get a 64-bit version.

Best,