[cffi-devel] clisp+cffi on windows+cygwin+emacsNT+slime -- the latter two prevent a library from loading

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 02:52:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Luis Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Mirko Vukovic" <mirko.vukovic at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But if I do that from slime, then the load fails:
>> Unable to load foreign library (NIL).
>>   FFI:OPEN-FOREIGN-LIBRARY: Cannot open library "/bin/cyggsl-0.dll":
>> "No such file or directory"
>>    [Condition of type LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR]
>
> Not sure how to start debugging that one. What does
> (probe-file "/bin/cyggsl-0.dll") return in both situations? Or, how
> about (probe-file "c:/cygwin/bin/cyggsl-0.dll") when you're running
> CLISP within Emacs?
>
> --
> Luís Oliveira
> http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/

Luis,

In my reply to Daniel I noted that I `fixed' the problem, by loading
another library before cyggsl: /lib/lapack/cygblas.dll, since cyggsl
depends on cygblas.

The curious thing is that when I do this from within clisp, I do not
need to preload the /lib/lapack/cygblas.dll.  Only when I am running
clisp from within a windows' version of emacs & slime do I need to do
that.

In the latter setup, I am accessing cygwin's clisp from the windows
side.  Usually the problem with this is that some environment variable
is not properly set (PATH, DISPLAY): Emacs inherits the windows'
environment variables, and passes them on to its sub-processes
(clisp).  I looked at PATH, and it `seems' OK.

Since I have a working solution, I am going to let it be for now.

Thanks,

Mirko