[cffi-devel] c-string encoding

Yaroslav Kavenchuk kavenchuk at jenty.by
Wed Sep 13 07:14:38 UTC 2006

James Bielman wrote:

> I'd love to finish this, but I don't personally have any need for it
> other than a desire to implement the Right Thing, and not enough time
> at the moment...

I personally have need for it

> IIRC, the big chunk of work left in that branch (other than forward
> porting to a recent CFFI) is working out what to do on 8-bit,
> encoding-unaware Lisp implementations:
>
> Do we want to write portable code to deal with some simple conversions
> like latin1 to utf8/16 ourselves, or just bomb on any encoding other
> than 1:1?  Or is there an existing conversion library we could use?

I need only for support in cffi of the work with encodings in concrete
realizations of CL (not portable conversion library - only interface to
support in clisp/sbcl/etc.).

Existing library (not CL) - iconv (LGPL). Probably, creation of the
cffi-interface to it (for use when support of the necessary coding in
the realization of CL is absent) is meaningful.

> If anyone out there looking to contribute wants to work on this, I'd
> be happy to take another look at where things are with the branch and
> give a more thorough account of what work is left.

I want to work on this (in the measure of the my modest opportunities).

Thansk!

--
WBR, Yaroslav Kavenchuk.