[cffi-devel] Re: %expand-type-to-foreign-dyn vs *runtime-translator-form*

Stephen Compall s11 at member.fsf.org
Mon Mar 27 18:20:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 12:57 +0000, Luís Oliveira wrote:
> Stephen Compall <s11 at member.fsf.org> writes:
> > One can also specify in the interface documentation that by merely
> > defining an e-t-f, even if it answers *runtime-translator-form*, you are
> > short-circuiting the alloc-param and free mechanism for dynamic-extent
> > expansions, and therefore must either not do so, or always be sure to
> > define a foreign-dyn expansion as well.  This is option 3 [...]
>
> I think *runtime-translator-form* should be a translate-type-to-foreign
> call when expand-type-to-foreign is called directly and a
> m-v-b/t-t-t-f/unwind-protect/f-t-t-o thingie when it's called through
> expand-type-to-foreign-dyn.

This is available at
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/cffi/etfd-opt3.darcs.patch , including
documentation updates.

Latest of "Option 1" at
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/cffi/etfd-opt1.darcs.patch , also
including documentation updates.

Both include the same modification to %expand-type-to-foreign; see the
docs in "opt3" for more details.

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog