[cffi-devel] WITH-POINTER-TO-VECTOR-DATA ?

Luke Crook luke at balooga.com
Thu Dec 14 02:25:27 UTC 2006

I'm trying to optimize memory access to an SDL_Surface in the lispbuilder-sdl
project. An SDL_Surface is basically a foreign array. Reading and writing
individual pixels involves calling MEM-AREF to access an integer value at a
specific offset in the SDL_Surface array. This is fine for individual pixel
reads and writes but sub-optimal for a rotation function where there is a read
and corresponding write for each pixel in the surface (For example a 320x240
resolution surface requires a total of 153,600 calls to MEM-AREF in order to
perform a rotation.)

Can I use WITH-POINTER-TO-VECTOR-DATA to somehow speed this up?

Thanks,
- Luke