[cffi-devel] Clisp load foreign library

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 23:26:10 UTC 2005

Luis Oliveira wrote:

> On 18/set/2005, at 20:34, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> No. Why does this have to happen at compile time? These are dynamic
>> libraries, right? I can change DLLs and a binary application using
>> the DLL still works, right? How? By resolving things at runtime. I
>> think there is a misunderstanding here somewhere. Have you checked
>> with CMUCL people to understand this needless requirement?
>

> SBCL fixes this by using something called a linkage table, which is
> not available on all platforms yet IIRC.
>
> I suppose CMUCL could implement something similar instead of
> hardcoding the function addresses when compiling alien-funcall forms.

Oh, I see CMUCL is broken and does not actually work? If I install a new
DLL I have to recompile? In fact, I have to ship a DLL with my binary to
customers, because their DLL might not be the exact same I used? Or are
the somehow logical addresses?

Worse, are we now propagating this brokenness to every Lisp (where we do
not go thru their FFI)?

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
    Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950