[cffi-devel] what I like about cffi

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:27:04 UTC 2005

On 12/19/05, Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> wrote:
> For example, :string+ptr (returns both foreign pointer and Lisp
> string) is very useful (esp. with :malloc/free allocation).  I wonder
> whether using that, one can very precisely define the allocation of
> substructures, which is not possible with the CLISP FFI.  What I mean
> is that :allocation in CLISP guides the whole parameter, and one
> cannot say: "stack allocate the structure, but malloc the storage for
> this one slot".  It's either take all or nothing.  Well, I think I've
> had 1-2 cases where this would have been useful.

Sounds doable, not sure if it's straightforward. In any case the first
step will be to support alternative allocation schemes.

> BTW, this was also my first use of darcs. I quite enjoy it and
> appreciate its interactive mode. I like being able to choose among the
> diff snippets when recording a patch.

Darcs is indeed pretty good at least for small projects/teams.

> Keep on the good work (still some to do :)

Indeed there is a lot do still. I think I should publish my TODO list
somewhere, since more people are starting to help and submit patches.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/