[cells-gtk-devel] UTF-8 support -- Patch

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:11:34 UTC 2008

Ingo,

glad to hear it works.

Ingo Bormuth wrote:
> I'm pretty new to lisp and cells-gtk in particular.
Welcome aboard.  I said the same thing half a year ago.

> I'm just blown away by your pace...
Well, this is a problem I have faced before.  At that point I just got
started with cells-gtk, so I postponed to deal with it.  Now your
request prompted me to have a look at it again.

>>> Here's the patch
>>> http://www.washbear-network.de/peterblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/gtk-ffi-utf8-sbcl.patch
>> And for the opposite direction:
>> http://www.washbear-network.de/peterblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/gtk-ffi-utf8-sbcl-input.patch
Hopefully I get my CVS commit privileges sorted out soon, so that I can
commit those things.

> Funny this demo also works without your patches.
> The error seems to be symmetric. :)

I suspected that, and the idea behind my test was rather to see whether
my patch /breaks/ the symmetry.  The console output should have been
wrong without the patch, right?  (i.e. that is why I put in the (print
...) in the example.

> Most widgets work now. Just a list-view is still problematic.
> Entries containing special characters are still not displayed correctly:
> (mk-listbox :columns (def-columns (:string (:title "foo äöüß bar")))
>             :items '( '("foo äöüß bar") '("foo äöüß bar")))

Thanks for identifying this.  I had a feeling some widgets use custom
methods to read/write strings from/to gtk.  I did not have the time to
figure out which ones, though.  Looking into this right now.

> Should list-store check weather item-types is string and do
> the conversation?

I'd try to stick the patch into gtk-ffi, since this is where it belongs
IMO. (BTW, it is "whether" ;-) )

Best,
Peter