[cells-gtk-devel] Re: GUI programming in CL ..

Dmitri Hrapof hrapof at common-lisp.ru
Thu Jan 3 19:40:13 UTC 2008

Happy New Year!

I thought that maybe my limited experience would be of interest...
I've been successfully using OpenGL with cells-gtk and clg for the last
two years (using GtkGlExt and GtkDrawingArea) for real-time data
visualization. GtkGlExt was recently abandoned but is mantained again
now AFAIK.
I also use Cairo together with OpenGL in order to draw antialiased
rotated Unicode text of different font sizes. Unfortunately, I do not
call Cairo and OpenGL functions to draw on the same surface, instead I
create a texture with Cairo and display it with OpenGL.
I have to confess I switched from cells-gtk to clg for the new version
of my program as the latter let me use glade to build my UI (and, to
tell the truth, I used only CFFI part of cells-gtk).
SBCL is the Lisp used for this project.
I made a small CFFI binding for GtkGlExt:
http://www.common-lisp.ru/gtkgl.asd
http://www.common-lisp.ru/gtk-gl-ext.lisp

Sincerely yours,
Dmitri