[cells-gtk-devel] Re: Documentation]

Joubert Nel joubert at joubster.com
Thu May 17 23:25:32 UTC 2007

Hi Shaun,

Peter Denno <peter.denno <at> nist.gov> writes:

> On Monday 03 July 2006 18:42, Shaun Kruger wrote:
> > I haven't been able to find much documentation for cells-gtk.  Now
> > that I have a working cells-gtk environment (thanks for the new
> > tarball Peter) I'm trying to get into proper development.
> >
> > I setup a wiki to start working on some documentation, but I have some
> > questions.
> >
> > Was there documentation that I missed?
>
> The gtk documentation is pretty good. As Kenny Tilton points out, cells-gtk
> should resemble it.

I have had a similar idea - documenting (lean) docs for some of the more
esoteric (in my view) mappings to the GTK+ API.

For example, I'm struggling to master the GtkTable class.
I've read both the GtkTable docs and also used the Slime Inspector to look at
the cgtk:table class. One of the slots is ELEMENTS and although there's a sample
(in cells-gtk / root / cells-gtk / test-gtk / test-layout.lisp), it is by no
means clear to me how the ELEMENTS slot should be set.

My only guess is that it is a cons of a header row and the table body - but I'm
not sure.

> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/index.html
>
> > How do I produce a list of keyword arguments for each of the
> > (mk-<widgetname>) functions?
>
> You could look at the direct or effective slots in the clos objects. In fact,
> you could build the skeleton of such documentation by writing a program that
> printed these out...something like what you'd get with javadocs. Maybe
> somebody already has something like this for common lisp.
>
> Try (find-class 'cgtk:text-view) and use the inspector to get a sense of it.
>
> Also (if you aren't so much into wandering off into a documentation project)
> learn how slime can help you get around the code effectively. Between slime
> and the gtk docs you probably can figure it out. (Not to suggest that this
> can't be made much easier!)
>
> > I can see the list when I pass in an invalid keyword and make-instance
> > throws an error, but I suspect there's a better way of doing it than
> > causing errors.
> > Is there anyone who would be willing to help me document cells-gtk?
>
> I can help a little if you can get it organized.
>
> > If anyone would like to look at the wiki I set up it can be found at
> > http://www.cl-developer.com.  Cells-GTK looks like a great toolkit,

This URL does not appear to be kosher - is the docs wiki available elsewhere?

Joubert

cells-gtk-devel site list
cells-gtk-devel at common-lisp.net