[cells-gtk-devel] Re: Multithreading patch

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:52:55 UTC 2007

On Mon
10 Dec 2007 14:45:37 +0100, Peter Denno <peter.denno at nist.gov> wrote:

> On Sunday 09 December 2007 09:58, Peter Hildebrandt wrote:
>> Here it is, finally.  Multithreading for cells-gtk on sbcl/linux.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I'll try this out and get back to you, hopefully today, while your
> mind is still in this stuff.

I think I finally got multiple calls to (init-gtk) straight  (so far
multiple initializations have been an issue, since cells-gtk-init destroys
state vital to open application windows).

Here's a patch for gtk-app.lisp that does three things

- handle mutiple calls to init-gtk gracefully [1]
- add a key parameter :close-all-windows to init-gtk (which closes all
open windows cleanly by signalling gtk-main-quit [2])
- move the bookkeeping section beneath around to remove the warning about
*system* being undefined

The patch is incremental to the previous one I mailed out.

Peter

------
[1] The solution was to separate loading the gtk librbaries from resetting
cells-gtk, along these lines:

- load libs if necessary
- use lib func to check whether threading is initialized
   - if not, init threading, cells, gtk

[2] Yep, this works now.  The trick is, you can use (gtk-main-quit) to
exit a gtk-main loop that is *running* in a different thread, and this
will cleanly close all open windows.  However, it seems you cannot use it
to cleanup a *stale* instance that was left due to a signal/condition