[cells-gtk-devel] start-app and multithreading?

Peter Denno peter.denno at nist.gov
Mon Dec 3 12:29:59 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 06:50, Peter Hildebrandt wrote:
> I've been trying for a while to launch a gtk application in a
> distinct thread (using sbcl):
>
> (sb-thread:make-thread (lambda () (cells-gtk-init) (start-app
> 'my-app)))
>
> The thread appears to runs fine up to the point where (gtk-main) is
> called, however no window is ever being displayed.

I ran in to this problem. I don't think I resolved it. It may well be
the case that I still don't understand restarts completely. The code
to look at is probably start-app in gtk-app.lisp.

If you typically run under slime, just for experimentation, try
running from a command prompt instead.

> The objective is to launch a GUI in the background, then return
> back to the REPL (with the GUI still runnning in the background),
> and modifying the underlying data structures directly, while the
> GUI visualizes the results.  For another app I have this up and
> running with cl-glut, but here I'd like to have (cells-)gtk for
> various reasons.
>
> Did anybody ever encounter this issue, or has any ideas how to work
> around it?
>
> Help is highly appreciated,
>
> Peter

Best regards,