[cells-gtk-devel] Re: Unable to load foreign library: X with cells-gtk-2006-06-30, SBCL, and FreeBSD

rd 162144 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 12:22:28 UTC 2006

Peter Denno wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 05:59, rd wrote:
>> I posted the following to comp.lang.lisp a few days
>> ago, and it was suggested that this list or the cffi
>> devel list would be more topical (and so here I am).
>>

> You came to the right place (this time). Talking to someone about on cffi
> about FreeBSD6  is also a good idea. If you go there and learn anything,
> please let us know.
>

>> I'm very inexperienced with Lisp, and I'm trying to
>> poke around with cells-gtk.
>
> Playing with cells-gtk probably isn't the easiest way to learn lisp, but then
> doing so sound like something I'd try too ;^)
>
>> I'm using SBCL-0.9.0 on FreeBSD6, installed from the
>> ports system.  I downloaded cells-gtk-2006-06-30 and
>> followed the INSTALL instructions.
>>
>> The test TEST-GTK:GTK-DEMO fails with one of the two
>> following errors (they alternate):
>>
>>       Unable to load foreign library: libgthread-2.0.so
>>       Unable to load foreign library: libglib-2.0.so
>
> Can you tell me what is returned when you evaluate this? :
>
> (cffi-sys::%load-foreign-library "/usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so")

It returns T.

However, (cffi-sys::%load-foreign-library "/usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so")
fails with the following:

Error opening shared object "/usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so":
   /usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so: Undefined symbol "pthread_attr_destroy".
    [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

So this indicates that it's CFFI (or perhaps something in the way
FreeBSD sets these libraries up)?