[cells-gtk-devel] new code fails to compile on clisp-2.37/win2K server

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 11 20:15:16 UTC 2006

Subhasis Ray wrote:

> The real problem seems to be in gtk-core.lisp As I made a fresh trial
> on another system, it got stuck while trying to compile
> root\gtk-ffi\gtk-core.lisp at the same place ( i.e., the error message
> is :
> ** - Continuable Error
> FFI::FOREIGN-LIBRARY-FUNCTION: no dynamic object named "g_free" in library
>       :DEFAULT
> )
>
> And the same message appears for other functions in that file. After
> several 'continue'-s, the rest compiles fine, but trying to run
> gtk-demo results in error.

My recollection is fuzzy, but I do recall that, in my first effort at
adapting Vasilis's original, I sometimes found FFI declarations of
foreign functions that "lied" about which module the function would be
found in. By "module" I mean Gtk library/DLL.

So maybe make sure g_free is in the stated library. Above I see "in
library :default". Hmmm. Is that the problem? Important note: AllegroCL
never cared if I got the module right (on other unrelated bindings), but
Lispworks failed at runtime if I erred on that. Another note:
implementations vary as to whether they look for functions when they
encounter the binding declaration (meaning I have to have the dll loaded
before I compile!) or at runtime. I do not recall CLisp's stance on tis
issue.

Hope this random info helps. :)

kenny