[cells-gtk-devel] cells-gtk and sbcl

rm at seid-online.de rm at seid-online.de
Mon Mar 14 15:46:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:53:35AM -0500, Peter Denno wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 08:48, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 09:24:08PM -0500, Peter Denno wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > cells-gtk does not currently run sbcl.
>
> What I should have said was that I (the maintainer) have no knowledge of it
> running on SBCL. The one time I tried it, it didn't work, and I expected that
> there would be plenty of problems.

Ah ok, i think the confusion stems from the c.l.l posting about saying that
"Cells-gtk builds very easily using sbcl" - but you are right, the post never
claims it _runs_ :-)

> [...]
> >  - the test '(directory "/path/glob*")' doesn't seem to work ...
>
> I don't know what this refers to.

Well, it refers to the code in the following files:

 ./load.lisp
 ./root/load.lisp
 ./root/gtk-ffi/gtk-ffi.lisp
 ./root/cells-gtk/gtk-app.lisp

all have the following code:

 (cond ((directory "/usr/lib/libgtk*") ....

which, i assume, should test for the existance of libgtk... files.
Unfortunately SBCL can't deal with the wildcard pattern _in_ the filename.
Hmm, it might be more portable to parse the output of pkg-config to get
the location of libgtk (as well as the libs it depends on).

> >  - complains about undefined alien functions (tons of'em).
>
> Which sounds to me like it isn't going to work.

Oh, it opens a window (splash i assume) and then breaks and breaks and ...

> [...]
>
> He didn't say it runs. But if you just enjoy compiling it ... ;^)

Hours of fun :-)

> If you do get it to run, please let me/us know.

Ok, i'll report as soon as i get it working.

 Cheers RalfD