[cells-gtk-devel] Re: Cells-gtk now UFFI-ized, running under AllegroCL and Lispworks on win32, next stop OS/X.

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 01:05:56 UTC 2004

Andras Simon wrote:

>>> I'll send you a tarball later today. It'll have everything but the
>>> tree demo working. But, because of that, an announcement may be just
>>> a bit too early.
>>

>> Ah, yes. That tree demo was a monster. I actually did that in two
>> steps, because it itself has two sub-demos: "listbox" and "treebox".
>> So I commented out one until I got the other working. Each took days.
>> :(  Hope what I did carries over to CMU.
>

> It definitely did! Both parts of the tree demo work out of the box;
> it's just that they're so bloody slow that I gave up before the window
> came up. But now I put 1 in the :init-value slot of the h-scale, and
> that helped.

Nice guess! How slow was "slow"? I have seen like a 3-4 second pause, no
more. Never investigated.

If your "slow" is much out of line with the Clisp original (using CLisp
FFI -- did you ever try building that to see if it would fly?) or if it
s out of line with ACL and Lispworks on win32, I will suspect the CMUCL
FFI interacting with UFFI, a known problem.

As for Cells being the problem, one never knows, but the original pure
CLisp version uses Cells, and Cells are pretty solid as a rule.

I am going to spend some time merging any changes I made ot get a clean
compile under LW on Mac OS/X and then update CVS with everything. Then
off to cll to emtion the CMUCL coverage.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/