[cells-devel] tile slot

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Sat Mar 22 19:38:07 UTC 2008

Andy Chambers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you supposed to be able to use the tile? slot to determine whether
> a tile widget is used?

Ugh, I honestly do not recall. I think setting that to t /tells/ celtk
to use tile.

I know I tested tile on win32, seemed OK.

> I've been trying to convert some of the demos distributed with tk
> itself to celtk but because
> the tile widgets are used by default, you can't set any style properties.
>
> I tried the code below but cells thinks the relief slot needs a
> parent.  I get the error....
>
> "New as of Cells3: parent must be supplied to make-instance of KEYWORD
> kid RELIEF"

That is different, you just have to check all the macrology to make sure
the :parent slot is picked up from *parent* or self or something,

> (defmodel tk-labels (window)
>   ()
>   (:default-initargs
>       :title$ "Label Demonstration"
>     :kids (c? (the-kids
> 	       (mk-stack (:packing (c?pack-self "-side top"))
> 		 (mk-label :wraplength "4i"
> 			   :tk-justify 'left
> 			   :text (concatenate 'string
> "Five labels are displayed below: three textual ones on the left and a bitmap"
> "label and a text label on the right.  Labels are pretty boring "
> "because you can't do anything with them."))
> 		 (mk-row ()
> 		   (mk-stack (:pady 2
>                               :layout-anchor 'w)
> 		     (mk-label :text "First Label")
> 		     (mk-label :tile? nil)
> 		               :relief (c? 'raised)
> 		               :text "Second Label, raised"
>
> 		     (mk-label :tile? nil
> 		               :text "Third Label, sunken"
> 			       :relief (c? 'sunken)))))))))
>
> Am I going about this the wrong way?
>
> Another problem I'm having is to do with packing.  Are you really
> supposed to be able to
> express the layout of a whole app with just one pack statement?

I think rows and stacks supply useful packing by default which one
overrirdes at will.

kenny