[cells-devel] Installation handholding required (only a little :-))

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Thu Jun 7 21:01:36 UTC 2007

Andy Chambers wrote:
> On 5/30/07, jan <jan.marecek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 08:22, Andy Chambers wrote:
>>
>> >   Howver, when I try
>> > (ctk::tk-test), I get "Unable to load foreign library: libtcl.so".
>> > This file doesn't seem to belong to any debian package.
>>
>> You can work around this by creating a symlink
>>
>> eg. first find which version of tcl is installed
>> $ ls /usr/lib/libtcl*
>> /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0
>>
>> then as root create a symlink
>> $ ln -s /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0 /usr/lib/libtcl.so
>>

>> The proper solution is for the shared library loader to find
>> the file itself, I'm working on a fix this.
>

> Thanks for all the help.  After dealing with the distractions of life
> and finally getting round to trying out the advice above, I can
> (require :celtk) without any errors.  Now though, when I try to run
> the test program (ctk:ltktest), I get following backtrace
>
> Backtrace:
>  0: (SB-KERNEL::UNDEFINED-ALIEN-FUNCTION-ERROR)
>  1: ("foreign function: call_into_lisp")
>  2: ("foreign function: funcall0")
>  3: ("foreign function: undefined_alien_function")
>  4: (TOGL-CREATE-FUNC #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X05000F78))
>  5: (TK-TOGL-INIT #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X0810DCD8))
>  6: (RUN-WINDOW CELTK-USER::LTKTEST-CELLS-INSIDE T)
>
> I can load togl.lisp so I think it can find the libraries ok but it
> can't seem to find togl-create-func.  Any idea why?  I feel like I'm
> pretty close to seeing those gears :-)

Sorry if this has been covered, but: Togl does not come with Tc/Tk (or
did not when I installed). Go here if this might be your problem:

    http://togl.sourceforge.net/

Pretty amazing install/build instructions, IIRC.

The acid test on many questions you might have is: Can you do it from
wish? ie, run wish.exe and try XXXX manually or by using a Tcl script
provided by the folks offering XXXX. When /that/ works you can focus
debugging on Celtk. (I am not discouraging questions, just sharing with
you my own attack sequence on some problems; it is really nice being
able to hop over to wish to do a sanity check before staring longer at a
Celtk problem).