[Fwd: Re: [cells-devel] Cells and Threads]

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:46:48 UTC 2007

Duane Searsmith wrote:

> Thank you Ken and Attila for your feedback.  I think I have a fair
> understanding of the issues now.  I'm going to do some brainstorming
> over exactly how I would like the threads to interact with the Cells
> engine and then try some experiments with different locking strategies
> and see what happens.
> I'll report back on what I discover.

OK, don't be afraid to ask. And don't forget about lazy cells. :) If you
use those, that creates other issues. I don't much.

One thing that might help (or hurt)  is that in Cells3 I started forcing
the programmer to single-thread model perturbations:

   (with-integrity (:change ...) (setf <some-cell> ...)

....and there are multiple queues for follow-up work and propagation
arising from any change, including a "client" queue for application
work, and one can specify either or both a client queue sort function
and client queue handler. So there might be some place to wire in a
little thread awareness and let things keep moving despite activity by
other threads. And with all that information around, there may also be a
way for the programmer to indicate they are taking responsibility for
data integrity so Just Let Me Do This. ie, They may know X is against
the rules but X is quite safe so Just Do It.