[Fwd: Re: [cells-devel] Logic Programming in Cells]

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed May 25 17:22:30 UTC 2005

Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>Kenny Tilton writes:
>
> > So the generator sits there trying different values, with nested
> > generators each working thru their values? The generator needs to be
> > able to keep track of where it is between evaluations, including knowing
> > when it is starting a fresh search (if you will).
>
>Yep.  I'm envisioning a generator doing things like producing
>permutations or counting or working its way through a database cursor.
>Knuth will be useful here.  I'm thinking a generator has an internal
>state which is initialized by a rule, but can be set by the
>generator's formula.  In the case where the generator is reevaluated
>because something under it FAILed, the state is not reinitialized.
>
> > Are you up to speed on the new propagation scheme, as featured most
> > prominently in "unfinished-business"? I guess teh good news is that
> > propagation to dependent cells completes before any output is done, so
> > you do not have to back out outputs (and rules are not supposed to have
> > side effects, tho I did just that in the Dwo Jones use case <gasp>.).
>
>Yeah, the new propagation scheme is really the reason I thought of
>doing this in Cells itself; it should make it easier to handle at the
>Cells level.
>
> > But what about the dependency propagation itself? A retry by the
> > Generator may not propagate to the same population, so some positive
> > mechanism must un-calculate dependencies reached during any failed
> > propagation.
>
>Yeah, I'm hoping this isn't too hard.
>
> > Too bad I am not using the stack any more....Just had an
> > idea. I need to look at the logic again, but what if we let dependency
> > propagation take place on the stack. One nice thing here is that I was
> > just about to /fake/ a stack just for debugging purposes, so I could
> > figure out where problematic data pulses were originating. So either we
> > do not need to do that, or that supports the backtracking you will need.
> >
> > Again, have you been thinking about these issues? Either way, am I in
> > the right ballpark approach-wise?
>
>You're pretty much right-on.  I was going to look hard at the
>propagation code to figure out whether to use the control stack, or
>hand-manage a stack of my own.  If it uses tail-calls in the case
>where there are no backtracking points and *debug* is nil, it should
>be possible to avoid excessive stack use in the normal case, at least
>for high-quality CLs.

I went ahead and implemented recursive propagation to users. No faster,
btw, so I guess the queueing scheme... well, hang on, it was not a
real-world test.

The bigger problem is that half-way thru I remembered that I kind of
like the idea of setting a model in motion and then just having it run
without further input because one change always leads to another. We'd
have to have a hook somewhere to stop and check the event queue so the
poor user can get in on the fun.

I cannot say for sure I will ever do that, but it Sounds Right. So I
will look instead at maintaining a simulated propagation stack just  to
help debugging (a known need) with an eye towards someday possibly
implementing "rule calculation backout". Am I right that the condition
system would be too slow for logic programming? You mentioned the rule
would "call FAIL". What would FAIL do?

Is this another role for the second value rules might return:
:propagate, :no-propagate, nil, or :fail?

Cells? Cello?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd