[cells-devel] Synapses and Cells Unified

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu May 19 21:17:45 UTC 2005

Whoa, that was easy. Synapses are now just like any other rule-based
cell. This was achieved by giving all such cells some new
expressiveness: the rule for a cell is now understood to return two
values. the second can be :propagate, :no-propagate, or nil, with these
semantics:

- nil  Use EQL or slot unchanged test if specified to test
         if new and old values are different. (Old behavior.)

- :propagate  Tell all users to recalculate regardless of the new value.

- :no-propagate  Do not propagate, regardless of the new value.

Not exactly sure how normal ruled cells will benefit from the new
capability, but I suspect they will. (I also expect the nature of this
new capability to get a lot of refinement as it gets put to use, so
forward requests/complaints freely.)

Cells? Cello?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd