[cells-devel] Re: Cells: Differences between Cells 2.0 release candidate and Cells in Cello ?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 2 13:01:29 UTC 2005

Frank GOENNINGER wrote:

>Kenny, Thomas,
>
>hmm - I wonder if there are any differences between Cells versions - or
>are these all the same versions?

I just checked on the Mac to confirm (it has been a while!) that we
(Frank and I) were using Cells II on the Cello port to OS X. And on OS X
we were just wrestling with differences between OSes and
FreeGlut/MacGlut, not Cells. That said, I never finished merging the two
code branches, so .... tell you what, I will do a diff and see what I
can see, report back shortly.... OK, no difference.

>Thx for sorting this out. I am about to use Cells for a more advanced
>system

Cool. Did you see my post a few days ago threatening to take out
automatic detection of SETF cycles? These would arise normally in the
classic Scoll Bar Scenario, where the cell for thumb position echos its
output by SETFing the vertical offset of the text, the cell for which
likewise SETFs the position of the thumb. I handled that with the
"cyclicp" option, but a recent project  (a 6502 assembler) required the
cycling to run on a little to achieve a two-pass assemble, and in
investigating i concluded, what the hell, programmers have created and
fixed infinite loops for a while now and we are still here. Meanwhile,
cycle detection was an ever-present drag on the system. Bad Kenny!

I have disabled it in my Cells code and all seems well. Once Thomas's
work is firmly in place I will CVS that down and hack out cycle
detection unless someone yells. To explore your self, just locate all
the *causation* references and disable the code in the two places where
looping errors are thrown.

I myself am firing up Cello while CliniSys works its way thru the
Dilbert opus, so look for fresh paint over there as well.