[cells-devel] PortaCello 1.0

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 13:56:45 UTC 2004

Edi Weitz wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:10:27 -0500, Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>CLisp (I think!) does not handle callbacks from C,
>>

>  <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/dffi.html>
>
>See DEF-CALL-IN.

Thx, Edi.

"A foreign function description is written as a Lisp file, and when
compiled it produces a #P".c" file which is then compiled by the C
<http://www.eskimo.com/%7Escs/C-faq/top.html> compiler and may be linked
together with lisp.a."

Wow, so /any/ FFI stuff requires relinking CLisp before one can get at
it? ie, Cello would come with a special CLisp FFI file to be run through
a build process culminating in a new Cello-ready CLisp. That is not the
end of the world. I do notice that even this much does not work on all
platforms. And UFFI does not support much CLisp. That would not be the
hardest workaround either.

I think the last time I looked at doing the CLisp port myself I
concluded there was too much trouble for too little benefit (I do not
use CLisp) and that it would be better to just make Cello good enough
that a hardcore CLisper (or its maintainers) would take the trouble. I'd
certainly help any way I could.

Right now I want to see if I can extend the widget set: menus, pop-up
menus, context menus, scrolling, text edit, listview, treeviw, tab
control... a "file open" dialog uses most of that, so maybe that is my
next project....hmmm, no, I can first change the object inspector into a
REPL. It certainly needs pop-up menus and scrolling already.

http://tilton-technology.com