[cells-devel] Use-case rough draft (take two)

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 13 12:53:19 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

>>a corresponding reference section (PDF again).
>>

>Urk. PDF really sucks as a reference document: hard to convert to
>other formats, not browsable from within Emacs, etc.
>
>Could you do HTML or plain text as well, or even better: TeX/LaTeX (or
>even Docbook) instead?

Adobe FrameMaker exports HTML, plain text, RTF, XML, Word... the HTML
and RTF fail on the fancier formatting stuff, but I can simply avoid the
fancier stuff while authoring. I'll take a look at LaTex, but I have
heard that stuff has a learning curve. If I find a wysiwyg editor I'll
give it a go, otherwise I better apply some triage.

Come to think of it, HTML butchered not just the fancy stuff but also
the ascii picture of the network, as well as the layout of the code.
Probably the tab characters. PDF does have its advantages.

btw, I am going to spend some time today boning up on FrameMaker
indexing and TOC capabilities, then start on a reference. Between
01-cell-basics.lisp, Bill C's blog, the old doc at
tilton-technology.com, and the test suite in cells-test, I think the
intro thing is well-covered. It needs to be pulled together into one
document, but there is more added value I think at this point in a
reference, since that simply does not exist at all right now.

http://tilton-technology.com