[cells-devel] Is it Cello yet? Nope...

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 19:18:27 UTC 2003

Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>Kenny Tilton writes:
> > Silly me. I had heard that the Big Three (*nix, Mac OS, and win32) all
> > supported native fonts for OpenGL via xgl, agl, and wgl libraries. Well...
>
>(BTW, it's glX for X11)

right you are.

> > Bad luck. The one I tried first happened to be wgl, which supports both
> > bitmapped and outline of any installed font on the system. Not so with
> > agl, just bitmap and not just any font. It offers a nice list of
> > pre-defined fonts, but to do this right we need unrestricted font access.
>
>Hrm, I thought that the Mac and X11 supported outline fonts and OpenGL
>as different, but composable, extensions.  I haven't tested this
>hypothesis, though.  Couldn't you use aglGetDrawable on the current
>context to get the underlying CGrafPtr, then use the normal Carbon
>text-drawing functions?
>
> > I am looking at FreeType next.
>
>Huh, I thought FreeType was an X11 thing (shows what I know).  I was
>going to suggest using xft on X11, to get at font info (eg, that's how
>you can use all the native fonts with Apple's X11.app).  I guess since
>you can use it everywhere, that might be the simplest thing to do.

Knock wood. The win32 build went relatively painlessly, and I am delighted to see ProjectBuilder files for FGLT as well as VC++ dsws.

The only problem is that I still need to toss together a C wrapper since CL cannot talk to C++, and FGLT is C++, with classes and everything. :)

But guess what? I have decided one step at a time, and I am hoping/praying that the easier step is to get X under my belt by settling for built-in GLUT fonts for now.

I'll take a swing at running Cello against Mac OS X Glut just to get some encouragement, then look at building Freeglut on Mac OS X in Unix-mode to get X on Cello's resume (Apple's Glut uses native windows).

http://tilton-technology.com