[Bordeaux-threads-devel] send/receive message api

Greg Pfeil sellout42 at mac.com
Tue Jun 5 04:06:35 UTC 2007

On 4 Jun 2007, at 14:56, Attila Lendvai wrote:

> i'm about to implement a simple send/receive message api based on
> condition variables and i wonder whether it fits the scope of
> bordeaux-threads...
>
> if you also think it does, then let me know and i'll send a patch.

This sounds cool, but I think is a level above what Bordeaux-threads
is intended to supply. I'd like to keep B-t as much of a portability
layer as possible.

> another thing i'm missing and which is not strictly a primitive is a
> read/write lock (even if it's a naiive implementation).

This sounds more like it may fit into B-t proper. Do you have a patch
for this, too, or is it more of a "please add"?

I know there's one other function I have to add to the library, too
(although I can't remember what it is off the top of my head). It's
something used in cl-muproc. Need to follow up on that ...

> i know that these features are implementable in terms of the current
> b-t api (i'm not sure about the read/write lock, though), but where
> else would we put them then a threading lib?

I think the message API could be its own library. I personally am a
fan of many small libraries, especially when you have something like
ASDF-Install to handle acquiring them.