Why is build using Java 11?

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Mar 8 15:57:58 UTC 2022

> On Mar 7, 2022, at 23:41, Blake McBride <blake at mcbride.name> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I am building the latest SVN version of ABCL on a Linux box.  Here is what I am seeing:
>

> $ java -version
> openjdk version "1.8.0_322"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_322-b06)
> $ javac -version
> javac 1.8.0_322
> $ env |grep JAVA
> $ ant
> [...]
> abcl.init:
>      [echo] java.version: 11.0.14.1
> [...]
> $
>
> Why is the build using Java 11?
>
> Thanks!

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any useful help from the information you have provided. I suspect something within Ant is overriding the shell environment, but don’t know how to meaningfully proceed “remotely”.

Nothing has changed recently in the structure of our Ant based build, so if this worked for you before on the same user/machine I would expect it to continue to work.

Some ideas:

I would look into how/where the `javac` command executes.  It might be symlink via the Linux “alternatives” system that somehow has a different execution path.

I would look into how the `ant` execution is specified from the shell.  I sometimes use the `jenv` utility which uses a shim for Ant execution that can get confused.

I might create a new user to see if the problem is present in a “clean” environment as well.

I might create a toy Ant build.xml file that uses the <javac> target to see which javac is being picked up.

Sincerely,
Mark Evenson

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."